Select Page

Hello to all back home. I would like to apologize that I have not sent a blog for a couple days, we have had some very late nights. Our weekend was very busy.

On Saturday, we went to the orphanage to bring clothes books, and musical instruments for the kids to use. Georganne thought it would be a good thing for kids to have music in the house, and we all couldn’t agree more.

The kids just had a blast popping the bubble wrap that was in the boxes. These kids are so happy, and what a blessing it was to see the Engbers home and the Smith-Korte house. We have no idea the poverty these children live in.

After we left the children’s home, we went to see the farm that Maggie’s dad currently owns, and Dennis and Maggie will inherit. The trip was about 2 1/2 hours longer than we were told, so it ended up about 4 hours one way. I have been told that this is Ugandan time 😊. That’s okay though—there is a lot of beautiful countryside to see.

On Sunday, we went to church. Maggie, Nuper and I went to one church and Bruce, Carroll and Dennis went to another church. Wow! What an experience it was to speak in front of a group of people who don’t know our language well, but it’s like they understand you before Maggie starts the interpretation.

When our service was over, the pastor called Maggie over to talk. He first invited us for lunch, but she told him we needed to keep going. The pastor was adamant that we take his best goat. He said we blessed his church, and that he needed to give his goat in return. We were humbled and completely speechless. When we picked up Bruce Carroll and Dennis, we found out they had a similar experience,
they got on the bus with pineapples that the members of their church had given them.

We returned from church around 3 and had lunch. After lunch, this crew was tired from the long bus ride the day before😁😁.

I was given a surprise by Maggie. She told me we were going to orphanage to pick up Derrick and Imelda, and then we were going to visit their grandma. I would see where they lived before Deann and I decided to sponsor these orphans. I was very excited, but at the same time very nervous. It was cool, while we were driving out to the grandma’s house. I was able to message Deann, and she was able ask the kids questions.

We are driving down dirt roads, and suddenly, we are on a grass path, and it is clear we are out in the middle of nowhere. We had come the point where we had to walk to reach the huts where the kids lived. We arrived, and grandmama was excited to see the kids. I received a big hug from grandma. I was numb at what I was seeing. I felt bad, but I was at a loss for words. We were literally in the middle of a sugarcane field. What a blessing it was to be able to visit where our sponsor children once lived.

Do remember me talking about a goat earlier? Let’s just say, it was a night of listening to a goat cry, or whatever you want to call it, but he kept me up all night. As I am taking a picture of this goat in morning, Bruce hollers out his window to put a muzzle on that goat😁 and I found out Carroll was awake as well because of this goat. At least tonight this goat is at the orphanage.

Our visits at the schools today were just fantastic. The kids here are so well behaved and listen very closely. While driving from one school to another, we found a village of people standing along the road. They are waiting for someone to come to talk about where they live. It was a sad story, as they are all facing eviction because of land ownership change.

We had another soccer tournament again today. It is just crazy to me how many people come to this event. I have said it before and will say it again, this is like a Super Bowl to them. We found them dancing in the streets 1/2 mile away from where tournament was. They saw our bus, and they came dancing around the bus. One young man was even washing the windshield of the bus. I really enjoy these events, as Nuper says, ”let’s put hay in the barn.” And today I feel we did just that.

Up to this point, we have visited 23 schools and had 6 tournaments. We have witnessed to thousands of kids. We are humbled by all of this and extremely blessed as well. We have a few more days to go, so we ask for prayers that we can finish strong.

Goodbye for now,
The Band of Brothers